Sunday 15 July 2012


The Structural Functionalism

In studying the theory of structural functionalism I really can connect with the aspect that speaks towards the family operating as the human body. This simply means that the family consists of several members that performs different tasks and must be functioning properly for the well- being of the whole family. However I disagree with this theory when it suggest that if the man does not performs instrumental roles and the woman does not perform the expressive roles that the family will be dysfunctional. In my family we do not stick to the roles outline in this theory, what we do is assist each other. We both work as well as perform household duties. Although I must admit that some roles will not change for example my spouse will assist with cooking or tidying the house but washing and nurturing ( taking care of the baby) is usually left for me to do. Likewise there are tasks that I will leave specifically for him to do. I do not view my family as dysfunctional although there are times when my partner will neglect his duties or responsibilities and this causes conflicts from time to time.

The structural functional theory helps me to understand why men shirk away from performing expressive roles and women today still believes that a man is to be the breadwinner for the family. The way we behave as a family and the roles that were assigned to us based on our gender is causing conflicts in homes. Even though society has changed and families continue to evolve the pre - assigned tasks are still in the back of our minds. Until families decide to compromise and do what is best for the family to function then there will forever be conflicts in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.